LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Auburn Hills — After further investigation, police have determined that a two-car crash that injured two drivers early Friday morning was not the result of a hit-and-run incident.

Police had been on the lookout for a Ford Sport Trac that was initially believed to be involved with the crash that occurred at about 5:28 a.m. Friday on southbound Interstate 75 just north of Lapeer Road.

Police were initially told the Sport Trac had collided with or cut off a 1997 Ford Escort, which became disabled and ended up in the left lane. The Escort was then struck by a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu.

The driver of the Escort, a 33-year-old Waterford Township man, remains in McLaren Oakland Hospital in serious condition. The driver of the Malibu, a 53-year-old Mount Morris man, was treated at the same hospital and then released.

Police said they were contacted by the driver of the Sport Trac after seeing media reports about the crash. The driver told police the vehicle was in the vicinity of the accident when it occurred but was not involved in the crash.

After a thorough inspection, police determined there was no contact between the Escort and the Sport Trac.

Police concluded that the Escort driver had lost control of his vehicle, causing it to crash into the median wall and become disabled.

TGreenwood@detroitnews

(313) 222-2023

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://detne.ws/1E7BKyp