LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Southfield — Fire officials believe a working smoke detector might have saved the life of a 10-year-old boy who died of smoke inhalation early Tuesday morning.

The victim was identified Tuesday as Nathaniel Mosby.

The fire occurred at about 6 a.m. in the 28000 block of Marshall in an area between 11 and 12 Mile and just west of Greenfield.

His 23-year-old sister was also overcome with smoke and was in critical condition and on a ventilator.

“We received a call about smoke in a house,” Southfield Fire Marshal Jim Dundas said. “It wasn’t a big fire but the house was fully charged with smoke. We did a search and rescue and discovered a 10-year-old boy and a 23-year-old woman. Neither were breathing.”

First responders gave the pair CPR while transporting them to Beaumont Hospital where the boy died.

“The fire looks like it started in the youngest child’s bedroom,” Dundas said. “It’s hard at this point to give a definitive answer as to how it started but there are no signs of foul play.”

According to Dundas, this is the first fire fatality in Southfield in 2015.

“We found a smoke detector in the house but it did not have a working battery in it,” Dundas said.“In my opinion, it would have made a difference in this tragedy.”

TGreenwood@detroitnews.com

(313) 222-2023

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://detne.ws/1IquLWa