LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Commerce Township — A 5-week-old boy died Saturday while sleeping alongside his mother. The child’s death comes one week after two other Oakland County infants died in separate overnight incidents, according to the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies and the fire department responded around 7:40 a.m. Saturday to a home on the 2000 block of Hall Lane in Commerce Township, where they found the baby boy dead, officials said. The mother told first responders she was drinking the night before and fell asleep on the couch with the infant on her chest.

She awoke Saturday to find the baby was not breathing, officials said. A friend at the residence called 911 and CPR was administered.

The child was pronounced dead at the residence by a doctor via telemetry from Huron Valley Hospital, officials said.

A sheriff’s detective and the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office are assisting with the investigation, officials said. An autopsy was performed and the results are pending, but officials said it appears to have been a layover death.

The incident came one week after a 3-month-old boy died in a separate layover incident and a 1-year-old boy died of natural causes. No charges were filed in either incident.

The layover death occurred just after 2 a.m. Oct. 9 on the 40 block of Firelite Lane in Pontiac, officials said.

Sheriff’s deputies responded to the home and discovered a 3-month-old boy who was not breathing, officials said. STAR EMS paramedics and officials with the Waterford Regional Fire Department also responded to the scene.

Investigators learned the child was sleeping on the couch with an aunt when the woman awoke to find the child’s lips had turned blue and he was not breathing, officials said. A family member was performing CPR when deputies and first responders arrived.

The boy was rushed to McLaren Hospital-Oakland, where he was pronounced dead. Detectives and the sheriff’s forensic lab responded to the scene to help in the investigation.

“The infant death in the 40 block of Firelite was ruled a layover death, formerly known as ‘compression asphyxia’ and accidental,” the sheriff’s office said last week in a news release.

About two hours later on Oct. 9, deputies and paramedics responded to a home on the 80 block of Thorpe in Pontiac, where a 1-year-old boy was unresponsive and not breathing.

Investigators learned the child was sleeping in bed with his grandmother and a 6-year-old child when he was discovered unresponsive, officials said. Paramedics with STAR EMS were administering CPR when deputies arrived.

The boy was taken to McLaren Hospital-Oakland, where he was pronounced dead. The boy’s death was ruled a natural death because of his medical history, the sheriff’s office said.

HFournier@detroitnews.com

(313) 223-4616

@HollyPFournier

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://detne.ws/1LGhc6r