Royal Oak police arrest suspect in fatal shooting

James David Dickson, Tom Greenwood, and Candice Williams

Royal Oak — Royal Oak police have arrested a suspect in Monday morning’s fatal shooting of a 28-year-old Madison Heights man in an incident that drew a heavy police presence to a sleepy city neighborhood.

The suspect was arrested around 1 p.m. in Garden City. Police said the investigation continues and arraignment information was not known.

The situation developed overnight on the 2800 block of Fern, in an area between 12 and 13 Mile and Main and Rochester, after a man arrived at Beaumont Hospital with multiple gunshot wounds.

Mayor Jim Ellison said the victim entered the hospital around 1:33 a.m., and hospital officials then contacted police.

According to Royal Oak Police Lt. Dave Clemens, the victim later died at the hospital. His name is not being released pending family notification.

Police are limiting details from being released as they follow up leads, saying they don’t want to jeopardize their investigation. Royal Oak investigators were helped by the Troy Special Investigations Unit, FBI Violent Crimes Task Force, the Drug Enforcement Administration and Garden City police.

A SWAT team, equipped with a large armored vehicle, was called to the scene. Police from Ferndale and Berkley helped Royal Oak police in setting up a perimeter around the area. A Forensic Science Laboratory vehicle from the Oakland County Sheriff’s Department was also on the scene.

Neighbor Debbie Gibbs said the house police investigated Monday was “sketchy” with lots of young adults coming and going regularly.

“It didn’t seem like a family,” she said.

Gibbs said violence is very unusual for the neighborhood and she feels “totally safe here.”

The incident rattled the nerves of some neighbors.

“This is the third (murder) in this area in the last 10 to 12 years,” said Rachel Krsteski, who stopped by the scene Monday afternoon. “It’s pretty upsetting. This is a really bad pocket of Royal Oak.”

Krsteski said her parents live on the next street and her mom wants to move. That the shooting likely wasn’t random didn’t help ease her mind.

“It’s still in your neighborhood,” she said. “You could be an innocent bystander and something could have happened.”

This is the city’s second fatal shooting this year.

The body of Theresa Diamos, 50, was found at her house on the 800 block of Altadena after police received a 911 call from a neighbor at 2:52 a.m. Oct. 12.

David D. Davis, 49, has been charged with open murder and firearms offenses in the Diamos killing.

Davis, who was the victim's live-in boyfriend, initially told neighbors there had been an intruder in the home.

Davis has prior convictions for assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder. He is still on parole after serving a six-year sentence in prison ending 2012.