Two-alarm fire clears Palace, gets extinguished

James David Dickson
DetroitNews-Unknown

A two-alarm fire that started Tuesday morning in the kitchen of The Palace of Auburn Hills took less than two hours to extinguish, the fire department said.

The blaze started about 10:33 a.m. in the kitchen area of the home of the Detroit Pistons, Auburn Hills Fire Chief James Manning said. Though the fire was largely contained to the kitchen’s duct system, the fire department’s response was immediate, and other nearby departments pitched in to assist.

 

“Anytime you have a fire in a building that size, it becomes labor intensive,” Manning said.

 

But by 12:15 p.m., firefighters had extinguished the blaze. The building, which had been evacuated, was opened again to employees, except the kitchen area.

No one was hurt. No events were happening at The Palace at the time, Manning added later in a statement.

"The initial investigation indicates the suppression system in the kitchen hood vent did not activate," the statement read. "The fire inside the duct work consumed the grease fuel and burnt out. The kitchen was the only area impacted by the fire."

Firefighters from Rochester, Rochester Hills, and Orion, Independence and Waterford townships helped extinguish the blaze. 

Fire inspectors are still at the scene learning more about what happened, Manning said, and will pass on their findings to The Palace.

jdickson@detroitnews.com