LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

A 41-year-old Royal Oak man was arraigned Wednesday on charges related to a seven-hour stand off with police Sunday night.

Clyde Thomas Kubiak appeared in 44th District Court on Wednesday before Magistrate Donald Chisholm. He is charged with one count of domestic violence and one count of assaulting, resisting and obstructing a police officer.

According to police, officers were called around 10:20 p.m. for a report of a domestic assault in the 900 block of North Connecticut.

“The female caller said she had been assaulted and the suspect had chased her into a parked vehicle,” police said in a statement. “The suspect was attempting to pry the car door open and fled back into the home after learning the police had been called.”

When officers arrived, they learned that the suspect had made threats aimed at the victim, himself and his 10-year-old son. Kubiak had access to a sword collection and a firearm, police said.

Officers entered the home and safely removed his son but throughout the incident, Kubiak hid in the house and refused to respond to officers, police said.

The Southeast Oakland SWAT Team responded and officers tried to reach Kubiak by phone and loudspeakers. Kubiak peacefully surrendered after authorities tossed chemicals into the house to force him to exit.

Kubiak faces up to 93 days in jail for the domestic violence charge and up to two years and a $2,000 fine for the assaulting, resisting and obstructing a police officer charge.

Kubiak has a criminal history including a conviction for false report of a felony, police said.

Bond was set at $10,000 without the provision to post 10 percent of that to leave jail amid proceedings. Kubiak is not to have any contact with the victim, according to court officials.

He is scheduled to return to court for a probable-cause hearing at 9 a.m. April 11.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://detne.ws/2oAfvPK