LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Six people were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation and dozens more have been displaced from their homes after an early morning Wednesday fire at a Royal Oak Township apartment complex, officials said.

The fire broke out at about 12:30 a.m. at the apartment complex, located on Wyoming near Eight Mile, according to Ferndale Fire Marshal Brian Batten. Ferndale's fire department provides fire service to the the township.

Batten said his investigation has determined the fire was accidentally started by one of the complex's residents, who dropped a cigarette lighter on a couch.

"He tried to put the fire out, but was unsuccessful," he said.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze quickly, Batten said. Fire crews were on the scene, however, for a couple of hours to find places for the displaced to go, he said.

However, the apartment's first and second floor sustained extensive damage from the fire and from the water used to put it out, he said. The building's elevators also were filled with water and are not working, Batten said.

"It's quite a mess right now," he said. "Fortunately, no one was injured. The six who were taken to the hospital were taken there for precautionary reasons."

cramirez@detroitnews.com

Read or Share this story: http://detne.ws/2nzNQ3Q