Troy barricaded gunman in custody

Charles E. Ramirez
The Detroit News

A Troy man who fired a dozen shots from his home before barricading himself inside Tuesday was taken into custody, police said. 

The standoff started at about 3:40 a.m. when Troy police Capt. Robert Redmond said officers received a call about a domestic disturbance at the home on Brooklawn Drive near Big Beaver and North Adams roads.

Troy Police block off the road near where a barricaded gunman situation occurred early Tuesday.

Police said  a 33-year-old male armed with a gun was in the home with his parents.

Officers helped the couple  escape the house.

The situation escalated and the gunman fired about 12 shots, Redmond said.

At around 11 a.m., police said they sent a robot into the home and residents were evacuated. Some took shelter in their basement, police said.

The gunman was taken into custody around 5:30 p.m., police said, after police established contact with him by 2:30 p.m.


Tactical police vehicles were on the scene and the street was blocked off, Redmond said. Although there are nearby schools, they are closed for winter break. 

Oakland County Sheriff’s deputies, Birmingham police and other law enforcement agencies assisted, he said.

It was unclear if police had had previous contact with the suspected gunman.

Tuesday's standoff  in Troy was the latest in a string of barricaded incidents in Metro Detroit, including later Tuesday morning, when a Woodhaven man killed himself after barricading himself in his apartment with a gun. 

Last week, on Detroit's east side, a 14-hour standoff between a barricaded gunman and police ended when Michigan State Police robots found the suspect dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Before he killed himself, the suspect killed three women and shot three police officers, including an off-duty Detroit Public Schools Community District officer. 

In January, a 25-year-old man refused to release two young children and three other adults, including the girlfriend he lived with. The couple had had a history of arguments, police reported at the time. He was arrested and the hostages were released.

In December, a 29-year-old man barricaded himself with an infant in a home on Detroit's west side, but officers were able to negotiate his peaceful surrender.

In November, a 37-year-old man shot two women, killing one, before turning the gun on himself and committing suicide on Detroit's west side. Police thought for hours that he was barricaded inside a home but had refused to make contact.