Teen accused in slaying to get exam
Detroit — The youngest defendant in the killing of French street artist Bilal Berreni will undergo a competency exam, a Wayne County Circuit Court family judge said Monday.
The 14-year-old, who was 13 at the time Berreni was killed in July 2013, will be seen by a psychologist. Three adult defendants in the murder case also are getting competency exams.
The teen’s attorney, George Chedraue, asked Wayne County Judge Alexis Glendening to allow the teen to be seen by a psychologist “since this is a serious crime.”
Glendening approved the request and is allowing six weeks for it to be completed before the defendant comes back to court. The teen’s name is being withheld by The Detroit News because of his age.
He is due back in court 9 a.m. Nov. 19 for a final pretrial hearing. He has been charged with murder and armed robbery.
Earlier this month, police statements given by the 14-year-old and read in court indicate he told police he bought “junk food and weed” with his $50 cut of the $300 that was stolen from Berreni before he was beaten and shot to death.
The teen and the three other defendants are accused in Berreni’s death after confronting him on the basketball courts of the abandoned Brewster public housing projects at St. Antoine and Alfred the afternoon of July 29, 2013.
The four were in a violent street gang called the Young Brewster (racial epithet), police say.
The older defendants are Dionte Darryle Travis, 17, Jasin Reno Curtis, 18, and Drequone Lamar Rich, 20.
Travis, Curtis and Rich have been charged with felony murder, armed robbery, felon in possession of a firearm and felony firearm in connection with the killing. They are scheduled to be back before a judge 1:30 p.m. Oct. 9.