LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Dearborn — A man working inside a vacant house was seriously injured Wednesday morning in a natural gas explosion, police said.

The incident happened on the 4900 block of Jonathon Street.

The man, 77, was apparently working on a stove around 11:07 a.m. Wednesday before the explosion, police said. His name has not been released.

Fire Chief Joseph Murray said firefighters found the man with severe burns in the front yard. He was taken to Detroit Receiving Hospital where he is in critical condition.

The small fire was extinguished within four minutes, police said.

Murray said the fire and explosion originated with a natural gas leak. He said the man apparently was preparing the house for occupancy or sale.

cwilliams@detroitnews.com

(313) 222-2311

The Associated Press contributed

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Read or Share this story: http://detne.ws/1pdrEUb