Winter Blast attendance up, organizers say
Attendance jumped at this year's Winter Blast event, officials said Sunday.
Despite poor weather on the last day, the 2015 Meridian Winter Blast, held at Campus Martius in downtown Detroit, drew an estimated 80,000 people over the three-day event that began Friday, said spokesman Jon Witz.
He said last year's attendance was around 65,000 over the three days. The Winter Blast, in its 11th year, debuted in February 2006 to celebrate Super Bowl XL held in Detroit.
This year offered activities such as tubing, ice skating and zip lining. The Bedrock Zip Line Adventure, which carried riders on a 300-foot stretch 34 feet in the air from Woodward to Gratiot, had hour and a half wait for participants.
Witz said although Sunday's rainy, cold weather probably kept 5,000 to 10,000 more people from attending, the event was a success, especially the zip line. Visitors flocked to the outdoor activities Saturday, with temperatures in the high 30s. Skies were partly sunny and temperatures in the high 20s for opening day.
"It was a very popular. We're glad we did it. Next year we're going to try to get even more lines," Witz said. "I think it was a very unique experience."