Barricaded gunman surrenders after 12-hour standoff
Detroit — After nearly 12 hours of negotiations on Wednesday a barricaded gunman on the city's west side has surrendered, police said.
The 54-year-old man was taken into custody around 5:30 p.m., said Detroit Police Sgt. Eren Stephens. No one was injured.
It was about 5:40 a.m. when officers responded to a home in the 15000 block of Sorrento, located in an area south of Fenkell and between Meyers and Schaefer Highway, police said.
The unidentified man allegedly has a mental illness and will be evaluated at a local hospital, Stephens said.
"Doctors will do an evaluation to see if he's fit for prosecution," Stephens said. "If he is, we'll submit a warrant to the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office for review. If not, medically they will handle him."
Police recovered two weapons from the residence — a shotgun and a handgun, Stephens said.
Earlier in the day police had called in a counter-sniper unit after the man began shooting early Wednesday afternoon. Police also fired tear gas into the home in an effort to flush out the unidentified gunman.
"He became more aggressive (around 12:30 p.m.) and he fired shots out of the window," said Officer Nicole Kirkwood.
Detroit police requested help from the Michigan State Police counter-sniper unit and the Wayne County Special Response Team, Kirkwood said.
Earlier in the day shots were heard from inside the home, police said.
"Shortly after (the shots), the suspect was seen opening and closing the front door so he was not harmed," Kirkwood said earlier Wednesday.
Family members also were inside the home early Wednesday, but escaped unharmed, Kirkwood said.
Kirkwood said she could not confirm what prompted the situation, but earlier media reports stated that police initially were called to the home because of a domestic dispute and that the suspect may have a mental illness.