Dearborn, Wayne County join Take on Hate campaign
A local effort aiming to address bias or discrimination of ethnic and religious minorities gained more backing from Metro Detroit leaders this week.
The Dearborn City Council and Wayne County Commission both passed resolutions pledging to support the Campaign to Take on Hate, led by the National Network for Arab American Communities, a project of Dearborn-based ACCESS. U.S. Rep. Debbie Dingell, D-Dearborn, also promised to back the effort during the Dearborn meeting on Tuesday.
They follow the Taylor and Detroit city councils, which have approved similar measures to support the campaign that launched last year and works to change the policies coordinators say negatively impact communities. Several Michigan House members have also vowed backing, the group said.
“We appreciate their promise to stand with us against hate that leads to violence and targeting of people because of their faith and ethnicity,” Nadia Tonova, executive director of NNAAC, said in a statement.
In Dearborn, council members unanimously passed the resolution.
“It’s not just about the Arab American or Muslim community. It’s about everyone here in this room,” Council President Susan Dabaja said at the meeting.
When the Wayne County Commission voted on Thursday, Executive Warren Evans said: “Discrimination in any form is unacceptable and we must not let it go unchallenged. Wayne County has a rich history of being culturally diverse and our population of Arab and Muslim residents represents a large portion of that diversity. It is my hope that standing against hate and discrimination will send a clear message of the importance of harmony and inclusiveness.”