No charges will be issued over an alleged attack motivated by racial or religious bias inside a Kroger store in Dearborn in February, the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office announced Friday.

A 61-year-old Arab-American man from Dearborn had told police he was attacked inside the store near Michigan and Greenfield on Feb. 12 by two white men, a 46-year-old man, also from Dearborn, and his 44-year-old brother from Kentucky, who were angry because he was speaking Arabic to his children.

No video or photos captured the alleged incident, according to the prosecutor's office, concluding there was insufficient evidence to charge any of the men.

"We spent considerable time and resources trying to get to the truth in this case so that a charging decision could be made using the appropriate legal standards," said Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy in a statement. "After months of investigation and follow-up work, we simply do not have sufficient, credible and admissible information to be able to proceed on either the complaint or cross complaint."

Dearborn police had also said there was no evidence language or ethnic hatred played a part in the attack. But an area advocacy group disputed those findings and had asked federal officials to investigate.

The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee's Michigan chapter called "on a review of the entire Dearborn police investigation and resubmission to prosecutors based on a new, fair and impartial investigation."

A statement from ADC Michigan, which interviewed the 61-year-old victim and witnesses, alleged the man was in a "nasty brutal assault," beyond what police described.

"Further, the 'abusive language' was nasty racial epithets that occurred not only as the altercation progressed but also were the exact racial reason why the victim was attacked," ADC Michigan said in February. "As such, the physical assault at Kroger preceded by the perpetrators lodging words 'ISIS' and 'terrorist' make the incident nothing short of a hate crime."

Dearborn Police Chief Ronald Haddad said in a statement in February that "this type of situation could have been totally avoided had cooler heads prevailed. This was an isolated incident that is uncommon at the store in question."

Read or Share this story: