LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Detroit — A portion of the Southfield Freeway will be closed this weekend to allow crews to continue rebuilding the Cathedral Street pedestrian bridge that was destroyed in a fatal truck crash in September.

The freeway will close at 10 p.m. Friday between Ford Road and Interstate 96, Michigan Department of Transportation officials said in a Wednesday statement. The closure will allow crews to set bridge beams across the expressway near Joy Road.

The expressway is expected to reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, officials said.

During the closure, northbound traffic will be directed onto westbound Ford Road, northbound Telegraph Road, and eastbound I-96 to return to the expressway.

Southbound motorists will be directed onto westbound I-96, southbound Telegraph Road, and eastbound Ford Road to return to the expressway.

According to MDOT, the cost of the $2.9 million project to rebuild the bridge will be underwritten by federal emergency funds. Construction is expected to be completed in late September.

The bridge crashed across all lanes of the Southfield Freeway when a waste hauling truck with its boom up struck the structure at about 6 a.m. Sept. 26, 2014, at Cathedral near Joy Road.

The driver, Stanford Michael Doll, 54, of Almont, initially survived the crash but later died at the hospital. No one else was injured in the incident. Investigators for the Michigan State Police said Alford would most likely have survived if he had been wearing his seat belt.

HFournier@detroitnews.com

(313) 223-4616

@HollyPFournier

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://detne.ws/1Jmm9Pv