Highland Park — The brother-in-law of an Army veteran who was fatally shot early Wednesday said his family remains shocked by the sudden death.

“They’re all just in awe, jaws on the floor, wondering why,” John Fisher said Friday of Hamtramck resident Stanley Paul Carter’s death. “How did this happen? It should have never happened.”

Carter, 59, was shot in the chest around 5:30 a.m. Wednesday near a DDOT bus stop on the 11800 block of Woodward Avenue at Tennyson Street in Highland Park, according to the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office.

It appears the shooting stemmed from a botched robbery, Police Chief Kevin Coney said. The suspect approached Carter on the sidewalk near the Fresh Fish House on Woodward Avenue.

“(Carter) was just walking to the bus stop,” Coney said. “There’s no indication they knew each other but we do have a person of interest that we are looking for to talk to.”

The person of interest is a witness police have yet to interview, Coney said.

“Out of all the witnesses that we talked to, we haven’t gotten a statement from him so we’re trying to obtain his side of the story of what happened,” Coney said.

Fisher said the family has heard few details about the ongoing police investigation.

“We’re just hoping that he gets caught,” Fisher said of the suspect. “We haven’t heard anything from the detectives yet.”

Fisher said he was driving Carter’s trucking route Friday for Delwood Supply Co., a family-owned Metro Detroit plumbing supplies delivery service.

“I’m out driving the truck today because he’s not here,” said Fisher, who usually works in sales and whose brother owns the company. “It’s tough to see all the customers because they all know, so they’ve got questions and I don’t have all the answers.”

Carter joined the company as a driver in 2001, business president Mark Fisher said.

“He was a good, reliable employee, well-liked by everyone that he made deliveries to,” Mark Fisher said. “He was a hard worker, an all around good guy. He’d step up for anybody.”

John Fisher said his brother-in-law commuted to work via bus to avoid yet more time behind the wheel after long days making deliveries. He walked about two miles to the bus stop from the home he shared with one of his brothers in Hamtramck.

“He walked there every morning, and knew the other people who were on the bus. He knew the bus driver,” Fisher said. “It was a regular thing for him, visiting with the other people.”

Carter would have quickly intervened had someone tried to cause trouble at the bus stop early Wednesday, Fisher said.

“He might have just stepped right up,” Fisher said. “That’s the kind of guy Stanley was.”

The Army vet was well-decorated and honorably discharged, after once being stationed at the Panama Canal, Fisher said.

“He was quite the character. He had a lot of stories, in other words,” Fisher said. “If he really did everything he said he did, he lived about four lives more than I did. Everybody liked him. He’s going to be well-missed.”

Carter is survived by four brothers, one sister and “bunches” of nieces and nephews, said Fisher, who shares eight children with Carter’s sister.

Visitation is scheduled for 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday at Krot Funeral Home at 2687 Caniff St. in Hamtramck, according to employee David Krot. There will be a service at 6 p.m. with military honors at 6:30 p.m.

Carter’s Army uniform will hang beside his casket at the funeral home, Fisher said. The veteran will be cremated and laid to rest at Great Lakes National Cemetery in Holly.

Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to contact Highland Park Police Detective Menge at (313) 457-7607.

(313) 223-4616


Read or Share this story: