Prosecutor seeks more details on fatal Romulus fire

James David Dickson
The Detroit News

Romulus — The Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office has returned a warrant request and is seeking further investigation after a 33-year-old mother was arrested earlier this week in connection with a townhouse fire that killed her 1-year-old daughter and injured her 3-year-old son.

Authorities say the girl died after inhaling smoke during the fire at her home on the 15000 block of Mountain Way on Sunday afternoon. Her 3-year-old brother survived.

Romulus firefighters responded within minutes of getting the 911 call around 1:45 p.m.

The fire occurred in the mother’s room, but she was not there when firefighters arrived, Romulus deputy fire chief Kevin Krause said. No other adults were in the home at the time. When the mother returned to the home, she was arrested by Romulus police. She is still in police custody.

Krause said firefighters quickly decided to enter the second floor bedroom where the fire originated. After putting out the fire, one firefighter of the two-man unit pulled away to search the house for people. He quickly found a 3-year-old boy in the next bedroom. The boy had “very shallow respirations” due to smoke inhalation and was taken outside, where a lieutenant on scene, who is trained as a paramedic, administered CPR.

The 1-year-old girl was found soon after. Paramedics administered CPR to the girl all the way to Beaumont Hospital in Taylor, where she was pronounced dead. The 3-year-old was taken to Beaumont Taylor and then airlifted to Beaumont Royal Oak for additional treatment.

The 3-year-old is “doing very well” but hasn’t yet been released from the hospital, Krause said Thursday. Krause said he visited the boy on Wednesday at the hospital, where he was in the play area with his family.

No firefighters were injured. Sunday’s incident was the first fatal fire in Romulus in 2015, Krause said.

A charging decision from the prosecutor’s office also is not expected until forensic reports are received, spokeswoman Maria Miller said Wednesday.