3 arraigned in fatal shooting at Eastland Mall

Francis X. Donnelly
The Detroit News

Romulus — Three Detroit teenagers have confessed to last Saturday’s fatal shooting of an Eastpointe teen at Eastland Mall, a police official testified at their arraignment Friday.

Tyrell Lane, 17, died of multiple gunshot wounds after he was shot around 5:52 p.m. Saturday as he walked out of Burlington Coat Factory at the mall, authorities said.

A motive wasn’t mentioned during the arraignment at 34th District Court in Romulus.

Despite the confession, Brendon Stanton-Lipscomb, 18, Demetrius Armour, 17, and Tyshon Taylor, 17, pleaded not guilty to the charges against them.

The three teens were charged with first-degree murder and two counts of assault with intent to murder. Stanton-Lipscomb also was charged with felony firearm. The charges carry the possibility of life in prison without the chance of parole.

The three are being held without bond at the Wayne County Jail.


Tyrell Lane, 17, of Eastpointe, and two friends were walking out of Burlington Coat Factory at 5:52 p.m. last Saturday when they were approached by a teen who began shooting at them, police said.

Lane was shot several times and killed while his two friends escaped uninjured, testified Ted Stager, Harper Woods deputy police chief, on Friday.

Taylor, Armour and Stanton-Lipscomb also were charged with assaulting Lane’s two friends.

Stanton-Lipscomb is charged with being the gunman, while Armour is alleged to have driven the car that helped him escape.

During their investigation, police used surveillance cameras at the mall to identify Stanton-Lipscomb and Taylor, testified Stager.


The next court hearing is scheduled for Jan. 13, and a preliminary examination is slated for Jan. 20.

The suspects were arrested Tuesday afternoon, Harper Woods public safety director Jim Burke said Wednesday. They were taken into custody in different locations in Detroit, police said.

Harper Woods police were assisted by Detroit police, the U.S. Marshals Service and the Detroit Fugitive Apprehension Team.

“I would like to commend our detective bureau who literally worked this case 24 hours a day in order to apprehend these violent predators,” Burke said in a statement Friday. “Their efforts to protect our community from further acts of violence by these individuals was extraordinary.


“While the arrests will not return the victim to his family, we can all take some consolation that at least these suspects will not be able to terrorize our community any further.”

Police who responded at the time of the shooting arrested someone identified by mall patrons as being involved in the killing.

But that person was released after being interviewed by detectives working on the case and is not believed to be involved in the incident, Burke said.