LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

A Detroit man was arraigned Thursday in connection to an attempted break-in at the Arab American News in Dearborn, police said.

Deandre Darnell Bey, 20, has been charged with several felonies including attempted breaking and entering, larceny from a vehicle, malicious destruction of property and possession of burglary tools.

Bey appeared before Judge Mark W. Somers in 19th District Court. Somers set bond at $25,000. Bey will be required to wear a GPS tether when released from custody, police said.

Bey is one of two people accused of trying to break into the Arab American News after 2 a.m. March 11 as staff worked inside on deadline to finish its weekly paper for publication. The office is located on Chase Road, just north of Ford Road.

Police continue to search for the second suspect, whom they have identified. His name has not been released.

In surveillance video released last week, two men could be seen looking through the glass front door and windows of the office. One of the suspects pulled the door handle while talking to the other suspect. About a minute later, he hit the door with a hammer four times, causing damage to the glass.

A motive was unclear, police said.

Bey returns to court March 23. A preliminary examination is set for April 1.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of the second suspect can call the Dearborn Police Department anonymous tip line at (313) 943-3012 or the Dearborn police suspicious activity line at (313) 943-3030.

HFournier@detroitnews.com

(313) 223-4616

Twitter: @HollyPFournier

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://detne.ws/1pqz1yv