Man sentenced to 15-25 years in 3 rape cases
It’s been just over two decades since Mary Wilson was raped. Monday, she finally got a chance to tell her attacker the damage he caused.
“I struggled with my self worth for so long” after the 1995 attack, Wilson told Kevan Emerson Clark at his sentencing hearing in Wayne Circuit Court.
“You took a part of me I cannot recover. I forgive you, not because it’s the right thing to do, but because it’s the only way I can be at peace.”
Clark, 53, was sentenced to 15-25 years in three rape cases in Judge Richard Skutt’s courtroom. Besides the Wilson rape, Clark was found guilty of two rapes in 2015. He’ll serve his sentences concurrently.
Clark apologized for his “extremely destructive” behavior, blaming it on his addiction to crack cocaine at the time, and said he’s changed in the years since.
“They say time heals all wounds. I disagree,” Wilson said, concluding her remarks. “But you realize living with scars is better than not living at all.”
The Detroit News does not typically ID rape victims, but Clark said previously she wants to tell her story.
Wilson’s case was one of a number that have been solved following the processing of about 11,341 rape kits found abandoned in a Detroit Police Department storage facility in 2009.
Just under 1,000 rape kits still need to be tested.
There have been 36 convictions of rapists as a result of the testing and investigations, say Wayne County authorities. More than 700 serial rapists have been identified as a result of the testing.
Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said during last month the rapists identified as a result of the testing of the rape kits had, on average, raped about seven to 10 women each.
Public and private groups continue to raise money to fund the testing of the remaining rape kits and also to further fund the investigation into the kits already tested.
“It is cases like this that show why processing the rape kit backlog is so critical,” Wayne County Executive Warren Evans said on Facebook after Clark’s sentencing.
He said he worked with Worthy to budget $1 million to be used for processing and joined with the First Ladies of Wayne County to raise even more money.
“He’s been caught. I thank God,” Wilson said at a luncheon earlier this year where she addressed the First Ladies of Wayne County and others. “He won’t be able to do this to another woman.”
“There are a lot of (other cases) out there that need to come to light,” she said.
Detroit News Staff Writer Oralandar Brand-Williams contributed.