Taylor teen electrocuted by downed power line

The Detroit News

A Taylor teen was electrocuted Friday evening after he encountered a downed power line in the backyard of his home, police said Saturday.

Austin Kane Wohlfeil, 16, and his 20-year-old brother where both shocked by the downed line in the backyard of their house on the 6000 block of Michael, but Austin died from his injuries at Beaumont Hospital in Dearborn, Taylor Police Chief Mary Sclabassi said in a statement.

Sclabassi said the incident happened at 8 p.m. when the brothers saw smoke in their yard and a downed power line. They went outside and saw the wire and the older brother contacted their parents who were away.

Sclabassi said Austin, a sophomore at Truman High School, was squirting the downed line and smoke with a large squirt gun. The older brother was unsure if Austin had any physical contact with the line.

At some point, both received a jolt and were knocked down. The older brother got up, but Austin did not. Their father arrived an attempted to administer aid Austin, police said.

“This is a tragic accident to say the least,” Sclabassi said.

A friend of the Wohlfeil family created a fundraising and memorial page on YouCaring.