Assault suspect’s mom: ‘Stick a fork in him, he’s done’

Holly Fournier
The Detroit News

Garden City — A 32-year-old Redford Township man suspected in a string of sexual assaults dating to 2011 is guilty in the eyes of his mother, who broke down in court Friday as officials described one of the attacks and DNA evidence linking him to the crime.

“Stick a fork in him, he’s done,” Janet Freeman said after the arraignment of her son, Ikeie Ranordo Smith.

Smith stood before District Judge Richard Hammer on Friday in Garden City, where he faced charges of first-degree home invasion, three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct and one count of second-degree criminal sexual conduct.

He could get up to life in prison if convicted on a first-degree CSC charge and remained jailed without bail. A court-appointed attorney will be assigned to the case.

Smith’s charges stem from a 5:45 a.m. incident Nov. 10, 2015, in Garden City, according to Detective Sgt. Ray Glenfield, whose testimony detailed the attack.

Freeman expressed no doubt her son was involved in the attacks, citing DNA evidence that Glenfield introduced.

“My heart goes out to the victims, most of all. They didn’t deserve this,” Freeman said. “I’m not going to sugar coat this. It is what it is. DNA doesn’t lie.”

According to Glenfield, DNA from saliva collected from the Garden City crime scene matched that from a mouth swab sent to a Michigan State Police lab after Smith was arrested Wednesday.

Further, unspecified forensic evidence links Smith to “a significant number” of other cases, Glenfield said. Police say Smith is suspected in assaults in at least eight Metro Detroit communities.

In the Garden City incident, Smith allegedly entered a home through an unlocked kitchen window and found his victim asleep on a mattress in the living room.

“She was awoken by an unknown black male who had a black knife,” Glenfield testified. “The suspect rolled her over on her back and said he wouldn’t hurt her if she opened up her legs. She complied.”

The woman was then repeatedly raped at knifepoint, he said. The suspect wore a dark hoodie but his face was exposed. The victim did not recognize him.

The Detroit News generally does not identify victims of sexual assault.

When the assault ended, Smith allegedly threatened the victim. Smith allegedly warned the victim that he “knew where she lived,” Glenfield said. The victim waited, stunned, a few moments before waking her husband, who was sleeping in another room.

During Glenfield’s account, Smith’s mother began to cry and walked slowly from the courtroom, using a cane. Her sobs could be heard from a corridor outside the room.

“I just can’t understand it. Something I’m not meant to understand,” Freeman said after the arraignment. “He did this and it’s inexcusable. I’m so angry at him, trust me. But I’m going to support my baby.”

Smith is Freeman’s only child and lives in Redford Township with his girlfriend and their 7-year-old daughter, according to his mother, who was in court Friday with the man’s father and step-grandmother.

Freeman appeared conflicted, stuck between her anger and her need to support her only child.

“He wasn’t raised like that and I don’t know where he went wrong,” she said. “He has to deal with what he has to deal with and all I can do is support my baby.”

Smith was arrested Wednesday by Dearborn police, who worked with several law enforcement agencies on the case. It was not immediately clear why Smith was arrested, but his mother said he was “picked up on his way to work” as a plumber.

Officials in Garden City asked that Smith’s face not be photographed in court to protect the investigation and to preserve possible identifications by other victims.

Smith is due back in court Sept. 19 for a probable cause hearing and Sept. 26 for a preliminary examination.

Meanwhile, officials in Dearborn plan to hold a news conference Monday to discuss the investigation.

“While it is important to notify the public of current events, it is most important that we do not do anything to compromise the investigation,” Dearborn Police Chief Ronald Haddad said in a statement.

(313) 223-4616

Twitter: @HollyPFournier