Man accused in string of rapes faces more charges

Holly Fournier
The Detroit News

A Redford Township man accused of being a serial rapist was arraigned Tuesday in a third municipality as officials continue their investigations that may tie him to as many as 35 cases of home invasion or sexual assault dating to 2011.

Ikeie Ranordo Smith, 32, was charged in Allen Park with first-degree home invasion and three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct. The charges stem from a July 6, 2015, incident, according to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, which did not release further details.

He was arraigned Tuesday in 24th District Court, where he received a $1 million cash bond. He’s due back in court Sept. 26 and Oct. 3 for hearings.

A second Allen Park warrant was denied pending further investigation, said Maria Miller, spokeswoman for the prosecutor’s office. The office is reviewing two warrants presented Tuesday by Dearborn Heights police.

Smith already faces charges in Garden City and Redford Township.

In Garden City, Smith was arraigned Friday on charges of first-degree home invasion, three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct and one count of second-degree criminal sexual conduct. He was remanded without bail.

Smith’s mother wept openly in the Garden City courtroom and told the media she was certain of her son’s guilt, citing DNA evidence presented by a detective during the hearing.

“Stick a fork in him, he’s done,” Janet Freeman said. “My heart goes out to the victims, most of all. They didn’t deserve this. I’m not going to sugar coat this. It is what it is. DNA doesn’t lie.”

Also last Friday, Smith was charged and remanded to jail in two Redford cases from 2014 and this year.

In both cases, he was charged with home invasion, first-degree criminal sexual conduct and second-degree criminal sexual conduct. In this year’s case, he also faces an armed robbery charge. If convicted on the first-degree criminal sexual conduct charges, he faces up to life in prison.

In a press conference Monday, Dearborn Police Chief Ron Haddad said investigators have DNA evidence linking Smith to three cases in Dearborn, but they believe he could be tied to more crimes dating back to 2011.

Haddad said detectives in his department first spotted a pattern in a series of home invasions near the city’s border with Allen Park in July 2015. Police talked to law enforcement agencies in neighboring communities and discovered several incidents with similarities.

Four months later, the police departments, Michigan State Police, FBI and Worthy’s office created a task force to investigate the crimes, he said.

Last month, Livonia police obtained surveillance footage of a man walking through a homeowner’s backyard. Officers with the task force used the video and determined the subject could have been behind a rash of home invasions and sexual assaults, according to authorities.

“At the time we got the video, we weren’t sure what we had,” said Capt. Robert Nenciarini, commander of Livonia Police’s Investigative Division and the department’s spokesman. “We knew it might be of interest to (Dearborn’s detectives), so we gave it to them and let them run with it.”

Nenciarini added Livonia police have found no cases in which they believe Smith was involved.

Police released the surveillance footage to the media and asked the public for help to identify the suspect.

Dearborn detectives then received an anonymous tip from Crime Stoppers of Michigan, Haddad said. Smith was arrested last Wednesday by Dearborn police, working with several law enforcement agencies.

HFournier@detroitnews.com

(313) 223-4616

@HollyPFournier

Staff Writer Charles E. Ramirez contributed.