New details emerge in deaths of 4 Dearborn Heights kids

Oralandar Brand-Williams
The Detroit News

When Dearborn Heights police arrived at a house on Hipp Street they say Gregory Green told them he had killed his family.

What they found was a grisly scene inside and outside the home. Now, more than a month later, a Wayne County Medical Examiner’s report obtained by The Detroit News fills in some of the details of the events leading up to the discovery of four bodies and the children’s wounded mother. According to the report, the elder son was forced at gunpoint to bind the hands of his sister before both were killed with three gunshots as their injured and slashed mother watched from a couch.

Dearborn Heights police said they received a 911 call at 1:15 a.m. Sept. 21 and went to the home on a “family trouble call possibly involving a gun.” After meeting Green outside, they found Chadney Allen Jr., 19, and Kara Allen, 17, shot to death in the home’s basement with their mom, Faith Harris-Green, wounded but alive nearby. The Allen siblings’ younger sisters, Koi Green, 5, and Kaleigh Green, 4, were found in a Nissan Maxima outside the home with carbon monoxide “pumping” through the vehicle.

“The perpetrator notified police of the deceased being in (the) basement and he was responsible,” according to the medical examiner’s report. Dearborn Heights police have not released the 911 tapes, saying they are part of an active investigation and will be released during Green’s court proceedings.

Gregory Green, 49, has been charged with four counts of first-degree premeditated murder, torture, assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder, unlawful imprisonment, assault with a dangerous weapon and other weapons charges for the murder of the children and the attack on his wife. His lawyer is mounting an insanity defense in his murder case.

According to an account of the crime in the medical examiner’s report, obtained through a Freedom of Information request, Gregory Green allegedly bound and gagged his wife first and sat her down on the basement couch. He then shot her in the foot and slashed her across the face several times.

Green then took his stepchildren, Kara and Chadney, to the basement. There, he forced Chadney to tie his sister’s wrists with white zip ties and duct tape. Afterward, Green bound Chadney similarly and placed him next to his sister on the floor. The stepfather, the report says, then executed both teens while their mother watched.

The pajama-clad Chadney, who was 6-foot-1 and 200 pounds, also had abrasions on his face and right foot, according to the report on the autopsies, which were conducted Sept. 22. His thighs and feet were also bound with duct tape. He had been shot in the left ear and twice in the back.

Besides her wrists, Kara, who was 5-foot-5 and 114 pounds, was bound at the thighs and ankles with duct tape. She had been shot in the top of the head and twice in the back.

Outside, the couple’s younger children were asleep in a car in the driveway of the home with a water hose that ran to a window with “carbon monoxide pumping into the vehicle,” according to the medical examiner’s report. They were taken to the hospital along with Faith Harris-Green. The young girls did not survive.

It is not the first time Green has been accused of killing a loved one.

Green pleaded guilty to stabbing his pregnant wife, Tonya Green, to death in July 1991. Green also alleged he was mentally ill at the time of his first wife’s murder. He served 16 years in a Michigan prison for the crime.

Green was paroled in 2008 on his fifth attempt at being freed from prison. Fred Harris, father of his future wife, Faith Harris-Green, was among those who fought for Green’s release from prison.

Gregory Green is undergoing a mental competency and criminal responsibility evaluation. It was requested by his attorney, Charles Longstreet II, at Green’s preliminary examination Oct. 6. The examination process could take four months.


(313) 222-2027