Accused serial rapist pleads guilty in 9 cases
A Redford Township man pleaded guilty Monday to a string of sexual assaults and home invasions in multiple cities, according to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office.
Ikeie Ranordo Smith, 32, pleaded guilty to charges in nine cases during a trial before Judge Dalton Roberson in Wayne County Circuit Court, officials said.
There was no plea deal and no sentence agreement, according the prosecutor’s office. He returns to court for a sentencing hearing May 25.
Smith faced multiple charges of home invasion, criminal sexual conduct and other crimes dating to 2011 in Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Allen Park, Inkster, Garden City and Redford Township.
Smith was accused of crimes that included breaking into an Inkster home the morning of Aug. 23, 2011, and hitting a woman in the face several times before leaving, officials said.
Smith was arrested Sept. 7, 2016, following an investigation by a number of local police departments, Michigan State Police, the FBI and the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office. He was believed to be involved in as many as 35 cases of home invasion or sexual assault in Metro Detroit.
During a preliminary hearing in October, a Dearborn Heights woman testified that a man police identified as Smith broke into her home about 4 a.m. Dec. 9, 2013, got on top of her and forced her to touch his genitals.
The woman said she begged the man not to further assault her, telling him she had been raped before and couldn’t go through it again. She prayed and told the intruder he could make better choices, and he left, the woman testified.
In February, Smith turned down a plea offer that would have allowed most charges against him to be dismissed in return for his pleading guilty to first-degree criminal sexual conduct.