LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Detroit — Work continues on the iconic — but vacant — Old Wayne County Building.

Restoration crews were on site Friday continuing work on the exterior and interior renovation project expected to cost $2.6 million, according the city permit filed late last year by the building’s owner, a group of New York investors. The permit is set to expire May 21.

A spokesman for First Quality Enterprises Inc., which is affiliated with the owners, said Friday that the company is seeking a single tenant to fill the building at 600 Randolph. The owners have said they want to restore the 115-year-old historic building’s luster. One of its most striking features are a pair of copper-plated sculptures — two goddesses astride four-horse chariots — atop the building.

Updates include work on the roof, facade, entry way and mechanical systems.

“A highly skilled team of Michigan’s most prestigious and experienced architects, real estate managers and construction companies, including Quinn Evans Architects, The Christman Company and the Farbman Group are all actively involved in bringing this project to life,” according to a written statement from First Quality Enterprises. “With the renovations underway, the owners are now prepared to consider offers from qualified tenants interested in leasing the entire building.”

The county sold the building in July 2014 for $13.4 million, which included a 120-vehicle, county-owned parking lot adjacent to the building on Randolph.

The Beaux-Arts landmark became empty when the Wayne County government left the building in December 2009, moving to the nearby Guardian Building. It has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1975 and is considered by some architects to be one of the most important buildings in the state.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://detne.ws/2qaVljy