Dearborn police video shows a pursuit with multiple shots fired from the suspect's vehicle toward a victim. Police followed the suspect to a Beaumont hospital emergency lot where they said the suspect killed himself. Dearborn Police Department


Dearborn — The man who forced a lockdown at Beaumont Hospital Wednesday night killed himself after a domestic dispute with an ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend, police said. 

The incident began around 8:20 p.m. at a house in the 3600 block of Karen Street in Melvindale when the 27-year-old suspect showed up at his former girlfriend’s residence, Dearborn Police Chief Ronald Haddad said. Her current boyfriend intervened in their dispute and an altercation occurred. 

“They had difficulty in the past, one was a current boyfriend and the other was the former boyfriend," Haddad said. “The decedent was armed with an AR-15 and a handgun. It was also discovered this morning there was a third gun tucked in the car.” 

Haddad said the suspect, whom he identified as Allen Park resident Ruben Salinas, engaged in a high-speed chase with the boyfriend through Melvindale to Dearborn, firing dozens of shots in the process. 

At this point, an officer saw Salinas pursuing the boyfriend, a 30-year-old Grosse Pointe Woods resident, and followed. Once they arrived at Beaumont Hospital in Dearborn, officers tried to end the pursuit by ramming the police vehicle into Salinas’ car, Haddad said. 

After three hits to the back of his vehicle, Salinas took his own life with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, Haddad said. 

“Upon stopping him, the decedent took his life inside his vehicle near the north driveway of the emergency entrance,” Haddad said. “The hospital was locked down as a precaution. There was never any threat to anyone in the hospital and I want to quickly dismiss any active shooter scenario that was reported early on.” 

The boyfriend was treated for minor injuries and released and the girlfriend was unharmed. Police said Salinas was a registered CPL holder and the weapons were properly registered. He had no prior altercations with police nor a history of mental illness noted, they said. 

Melvindale police did not comment on the incident and said the investigation is ongoing and will be a collaborative effort with Dearborn Police and Michigan State Police. 

It was originally reported the hospital was on lockdown because of a nearby armed robbery on Michigan Avenue and Outer Drive.

Police said the miscommunication was due to the busy night the department was having. Haddad said there were 96 calls for service, 68 citations and four other arrests Wednesday night leading into Thursday morning.

Twitter: @SarahRahal_

Read or Share this story: