Fire breaks out at Redford country club
A massive fire broke out at the Western Golf and Country Club Thursday in Redford Township, prompting firefighters from multiple cities to respond.
The country club is located at 14600 Kinloch. No information was available about what started the fire.
The club house has been in operation since 1926 and includes a main dining room, English room, Library, a bar and a restaurant, the Western Grille, according to the club's website.
Robert Sayger, 52, who was a chef at the club for 20 years, said he heard the fire started in the kitchen.
Sayger said the club is like a family.
“We’ve got some dedicated employees and everyone works together," he said.
He also said the club’s buildings have some beautiful features and history.
“This place has been around since the 20s,” he said. “There’s a lot of pictures and great woodwork.”
Redford Township resident Linda Miller, who lives near the golf course, said it’s heart-breaking to see a part of it going up in flames.
“I grew up three doors down from here,” she said. “It’s a huge part of my life.”