LINKEDIN 1 COMMENTMORE

Detroit — A former Hamtramck police officer was indicted by a federal grand jury Thursday and accused of excessive use of force, obstruction of justice and firearms crimes relating to two civil arrests.

The six-count federal indictment of Ryan McInerney, 42, of Lincoln Park accused the former officer of assaulting civilians with a pistol during separate arrests on July 22, 2014.

The indictment comes amid heightened awareness nationwide of civil rights violations involving law enforcement personnel and, largely, minority citizens.

McInerney is accused of writing false reports to cover up what prosecutors called excessive use of force. Prosecutors say the assaults left one motorist with broken facial bones and cuts requiring stitches, and the other civilian suffered broken teeth, among other injuries, according to prosecutors.

McInerney resigned the same year of the alleged assaults, Hamtramck Mayor Karen Majewski said Thursday.

“Of course this is disturbing but there is really nothing I can say about it,” she told The News.

If convicted of civil rights violations, McInerney faces up to 10 years in federal prison and 20 years on the obstruction counts.

There was no immediate comment Thursday from McInerney's lawyer.

The victims are not identified in the indictment. Instead, they are referred to as "D.M." of Hamtramck and "J.M." of Detroit.

The date of the alleged assault matches details included in a federal civil lawsuit filed by Detroit resident Jibreel Montalvo against McInerney, another officer and the city in 2016.

According to the civil lawsuit, Montalvo was driving a red Honda Accord on July 22, 2014, in Hamtramck when McInerney's patrol car struck the Honda.

McInerney drew his service weapon and fired it at Montalvo, who was sitting in the Honda with his hands raised and extended out of the driver's seat window, the lawsuit says.

McInerney struck Montalvo in the face with his weapon, pistol-whipped him, pulled him from the car and arrested him, according to the lawsuit.

The civil lawsuit was put on hold last month due to the ongoing criminal investigation.

Montalvo's lawyer did not respond to a message seeking comment Thursday.

rsnell@detroitnews.com 

(313) 222-2486

Twitter: @robertsnellnews

LINKEDIN 1 COMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: https://detne.ws/2BXH7tT