Arrest made in '2 shooters' threat that closed Melvindale schools for 3 days
Melvindale — Police have made an arrest in a case involving online threats that closed Melvindale-Northern Allen Park Public Schools for three days.
"Unfortunately, we cannot provide any details as to the arrest," the Melvindale Police Department said in a statement on its Facebook page. "We would like to thank our community for the support and information provided to us."
The threat was first reported Sunday night, prompting Monday's closure, keeping about 3,100 students out of class. As police continued their investigation into the threat, which targeted Strong Middle School, school officials canceled class Tuesday.
Threats appeared to be reposted in Roseville and Center Line. Wednesday afternoon, Chesterfield Township authorities reported a separate school threat.
As late as 8 p.m. Tuesday, Melvindale Police Department told parents, via Facebook, that there would be class Wednesday, despite police being made aware of yet another threat, not only to Strong Middle School but to Melvindale High School.
Parents responded forcefully. One, Patricia Anderson, wrote: "The kids should not return to school till this is resolved. Safety comes first and my understanding that u are reopening school Wednesday is not safety. This is not resolved. My children will be staying home."
By 9:45 p.m., Melvindale police made a second post, announcing that school would be closed Wednesday.
That post included a screenshot of the alleged threat, which indicates that "there's going to be two shooters, one in the high school and one in the middle school."
The FBI also was involved in the investigation.
It appears the threat is also being reposted by students in other Metro Detroit school districts.
Roseville Deputy Police Chief Mitch Berlin said officers canvassed the 10 schools in the Roseville Community Schools district Wednesday morning with all of the department's patrols as a precaution.
"We received a generic threat and we believe it all links to some threats downriver," he said. "Our detectives are working on it."
Paul Myszenski, director of the Center Line Public Safety Department, said the Melvindale threat was also sent to the Center Line Public Schools district.
"It's the same type of threat that they're dealing with in Melvindale," he said. "We checked the schools out and the district took precautions. We found everything was okay."
Also later Wednesday, Roseville police said officers investigated a bomb threat against Roseville Middle School.
Police were notified about the threat at about 2 p.m., according to Deputy Police Chief Donald Glandon.
He said the students and staff were sent home while officers investigated.
Roseville police and Macomb County Sheriff’s K-9 officers searched the campus but did not find any contraband.
Also Wednesday, a bomb threat was made against L’Anse Creuse Middle School East, Chesterfield Township police said in a statement.
Township police searched the grounds with help from a Michigan State Police K-9 and a Macomb County Sheriff's K-9 and found the school safe, according to the release. No arrests had been made by late Wednesday, and detectives are investigating.
Detroit News Staff Writers Charles E. Ramirez and Mark Hicks contributed to this report