Family taken from apartment shared with Ebola patient

David Warren and Jamie Stengle
Associated Press

Dallas — The Texas family that lived in an apartment where a Liberian man fell ill with Ebola has been moved to a different home.

The family of four was seen being led from the apartment late Friday afternoon. They were placed in a Dallas County deputy's patrol car and driven away. Their destination was not known.

Meanwhile, a hazardous-materials team worked through the day to decontaminate the home.

Hazardous material cleaners prepare to hang black plastic oustide the apartment in Dallas where Thomas Eric Duncan, the Ebola patient who traveled from Liberia to Dallas stayed last week.

Thomas Eric Duncan was visiting from Liberia and staying with the family when he got sick. He was taken away by an ambulance Sunday. Duncan tested positive for Ebola and is in serious condition at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas.

Liberia has been one of the countries hit hardest by the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.

The decontamination team was to collect bed sheets, towels and a mattress used by the infected man before he was hospitalized, as well as a suitcase and other personal items belonging to Duncan, officials said.

They planned to place the items in industrial barrels and take them to a storage facility, according to Dallas County Fire Marshal Robert De Los Santos.

The first Ebola diagnosis in the U.S. has raised concerns about whether the disease that has killed 3,400 people in West Africa could spread in the U.S. Federal health officials say they are confident they can keep it in check.

A young man retrieves food supplies left by the North Texas Food Bank and the Red Cross on the front stoop of an apartment at The Ivy Apartments complex, Oct. 2, 2014, in Dallas.

Elsewhere, NBC News reported that an American freelance cameraman working for the network in Liberia has tested positive for the virus and will be flown back to the United States, along with the rest of the news crew.

Also Friday, Texas health officials said they had narrowed the number of people they were monitoring from as many as 100 to about 50 who had some type of exposure to Duncan.