Campaign worker sends fake news release saying foe left race
Concord, N.H. — A campaign worker for a New Hampshire House hopeful has been charged with a felony for sending out a fake news release saying the opponent had dropped out of the race.
Attorney General Joseph Foster says 28-year-old Carl Gibson of Concord was charged Friday with felony voter suppression and a misdemeanor count of distributing a false document.
Gibson is scheduled to be arraigned June 22 in Concord District Court. He told the Concord Monitor this week that he “probably had one too many beers” before sending out the false email.
Gibson had been working for Democrat Maureen Mann, who ended up losing the close race in the special election. Republican opponent Yvonne Dean-Bailey won the election to represent Candia, Deerfield, Northwood and Nottingham.
Mann called the election interference “absolutely reprehensible.”
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.