Fire erupts near Las Vegas Strip at hot air balloon business
Las Vegas — Propane tanks exploded on the ground at a hot air balloon ride business near the Las Vegas Strip, leaving a 35-year-old man hospitalized with burns to his arm and leg.
A spokesman for Vegas Balloon Rides said Tuesday morning that a pilot was refueling balloon tanks when the blast occurred. Jeff Chatterton says on-site refueling is routine and the company isn’t sure which tanks sparked the fire.
The company’s balloon rides launch off-site every day at dawn.
Riders typically don’t visit its business south of the Rio casino-hotel, across Interstate-15 from the Las Vegas Strip.
Clark County Fire crews responded to the blast shortly after 9 a.m. and had it under control before 11 a.m. preventing the fire from spreading to nearby structures and propane tanks.
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.