Cruise continues despite suspected norovirus outbreak
Portland, Maine — A British cruise line says one of its ships is sailing to Canada as planned despite evidence of a possible norovirus outbreak following a visit to the United States.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says it inspected the Balmoral in Baltimore last week and found 27 percent of its passengers had gotten sick since the 34-night cruise began in England on April 16.
The CDC reports that 252 of the 919 passengers had fallen ill, as well as eight members of the 502-member crew.
Fred Olsen Cruise Lines says 15 passengers are currently required to remain in their cabins. It says the rest have recovered.
The ship is set to dock in Saint John, New Brunswick, on Monday after leaving Portland, Maine, over the weekend.