Powerball jackpot $422 million after months without winner
Des Moines, Iowa — The Powerball jackpot has soared to $422 million thanks to nearly three months without a winner of the big prize.
If anyone matches the five balls and red Powerball in Wednesday night’s drawing, it will be the game’s first jackpot winner since May 7.
A jackpot winner could opt for a $422 million annuity paid out over 29 years or a $291 million lump sum. The prize would rank as the nation’s 11th largest.
The chance of winning Powerball is incredibly small, at 292.2 million to one. But players have much better odds, of about one in 25, of winning smaller prizes ranging from $1 million to $4.
The big Powerball prize comes less than three weeks after a player in Indiana won a $536 million Mega Millions jackpot.
Powerball Jackpot-Top 10 largest US Jackpots
The Powerball drawing on Wednesday will give lottery players a shot at a jackpot of $422 million, which would rank as the nation’s 11th largest lottery payout. Here’s a look at the 10 largest U.S. jackpots and the winners’ home states:
1. $1.6 billion, Powerball, Jan. 13, 2016 (three tickets, from California, Florida, Tennessee)
2. $656 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (three tickets, from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
3. $648 million, Mega Millions, Dec. 17, 2013 (two tickets, from California and Georgia)
4. $590.5 million, Powerball, May 18, 2013 (one ticket, from Florida)
5. $587.5 million, Powerball, Nov. 28, 2012 (two tickets, from Arizona and Missouri)
6. $564.1 million, Powerball, Feb. 11, 2015 (three tickets, from North Carolina, Puerto Rico and Texas)
7. $536 million, Mega Millions, July 8, 2016 (one ticket, from Indiana)
8. $448.4 million, Powerball, Aug. 7, 2013 (three tickets, one from Minnesota and two from New Jersey)
9. $429.6 million, Powerball, May 7, 2016 (one ticket, from New Jersey)
10. $425.3 million, Powerball, Feb. 19, 2014 (one ticket, from California)
Sources: AP archives, www.megamillions.com and www.powerball.com
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.