Video captured shooting that killed Chicago toddler

Don Babwin
Associated Press

Chicago — Police are examining dramatic video that captured a shooting that killed a toddler and a man authorities say was the intended target.

The video, streamed live on Facebook, was taken from inside a car driven by a young woman who was wounded in the shooting. The man and 2-year-old Levontay White were also in the car.

The woman and man can be seen listening to rap music before more than a dozen shots ring out. Screaming is heard as the footage becomes jumbled but shows the woman exiting the car and running toward a house. The video goes to black, but the audio continues and people can be heard yelling, “Oh my God,” “I can’t breathe,” and “Please, no, no.”

Police suspect the 26-year-old man was the target of a gang hit. The man was Levontay’s uncle and a documented gang member with an extensive criminal history that included arrests for armed robbery and burglary, according to police.

Police have confirmed the authenticity of the video and it is part of their investigation, spokesman Frank Giancamilli said. No arrests had been made as of Wednesday.

Levontay was among at least three children shot in Chicago in recent days.

A 19-year-old man was charged Wednesday with first-degree murder in the killing of an 11-year-old Chicago girl who was shot in the head over the weekend.

Antwan C. Jones faces a first-degree murder count in the death of Takiya Holmes, who died Tuesday. Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said Jones has an extensive juvenile arrest record and a record as an adult that includes an arrest on a felony charge of aggravated assault after allegedly attacking a teacher.

Jones spotted three people outside his home, determined they didn’t belong there and went inside and got a handgun, police said. He came outside and started firing, striking Takiya but no one else, said Brendan Deenihan, a commander of the detectives’ unit handling the investigation.

Police found Jones by contacting people in a video of the shooting who cooperated and identified Jones. The suspect turned himself in Tuesday night, but did not say anything other than request a lawyer, Guglielmi said. Guglielmi said no gun has been recovered. Jones doesn’t have a listed number to pursue comment.

Authorities said Tuesday that a 12-year-old girl also shot over the weekend remains in critical condition.