High court postpones April arguments because of coronavirus
The Supreme Court on Friday announced it will postpone arguments scheduled for April because of the coronavirus pandemic, but the court didn’t rule out hearing some arguments within months.
The announcement means a total of 20 arguments scheduled for March and April, including fights over subpoenas for President Donald Trump’s financial records, have now been postponed. The court said in a statement that it would consider rescheduling some cases before the end of the term “if circumstances permit in light of public health and safety guidance at that time.”
“The Court will consider a range of scheduling options and other alternatives if arguments cannot be held in the Courtroom before the end of the Term,” statement said.
The high court previously announced it would postpone 11 arguments that would have been heard over the past two weeks.
On Friday it postponed the remaining nine arguments scheduled for late April. Those arguments include a case about whether presidential electors must support the popular vote winner in their states or can choose someone else.
In another case, the justices were to decide whether to allow the Trump administration to enforce rules that let more employers deny insurance coverage for contraceptives to women. A lower court ruling had blocked the administration from enforcing the rules.