State Rep. Peter Lucido has won two House races and he sprinted to a win in his bid for the Michigan Senate on Tuesday in the GOP primary, but said he still doesn't think of himself as a politician.

Lucido, 58, ran against former three-term state rep Ken Goike, collecting 72 percent of the votes in the Republican primary for the 8th District.

The lawyer from Shelby Township looked to be the Republican nominee to replace term-limited Jack Brandenburg, R-Harrison Township, in a heavily Republican district that extends from the northwest sector of the county to the southeast. He would face one of three underfunded Democrats as a prohibitive favorite in November.

Still, he said, "Politics is not something I ever dreamed of," and not something he completely feels a part of.  But "it's necessary, because who in the hell is going to fix the problems that we have?

"I'm happy to serve because if I can't do it, then at least I gave it my all to try."

The Lucido-Goike race had taken a contentious turn in the late stages of the campaign. Lucido objected Monday to a late campaign piece from Goike, referencing a House vote on an insurance bill, that Lucido took as an attack on his integrity.

"This is what they do in this business," he said.


In the 8th District race for the Democratic nomination featuring three candidates from Sterling Heights, Paul Francis took the win with 47 percent of the vote. The manufacturer of quick-starting firewood bundles bested mental health consultant Patrick Biange at 31 percent, and casino dealer Raymond Filipek at 23 percent.

In the 9th District, Democratic Warren city clerk Paul Wojno secured the nomination over opponent Kristina Lodovisi, earning 63 percent of the vote.

On the Republican side, featuring two candidates from Roseville, Jeff Bonnell beat out Fred Kuplicki, 53 percent to 47 percent.

In District 10, term-limited Democratic Rep. Henry Yanez of Sterling Heights hopes to claim a Republican seat held by term-limited Sen. Tory Rocca.

Yanez was running unopposed and will face Libertarian Mike Saliba of Clinton Township and apparent GOP winner Michael MacDonald of Macomb Township, who collected 59 percent of the vote with 75 percent of the precincts reporting in unofficial results.

Michael Shallal, the leading fundraiser in the race at about $54,000, had 27 percent and Joseph Bogdan of Utica collected 14 percent.

In Michigan House District 31 on the Democratic side, Bill Sowerby of Clinton Township faced a tight race in the beginning but pulled out a primary win with 56 percent of the vote. Challenger Michelle Robertson of Fraser, director of strategic initiatives for the YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit, pulled in the remaining 44 percent.

The race on the Republican side proved to be much tighter, with Lisa Valerio-Nowc of Clinton Township beating out Clinton Township dentist Catherine Osinski Dinka by just 55 votes, 3,002 to 2,947.

In the 36th District, where Lucido is finishing his second term, five Republicans were on the ballot, but attorney Douglas Wozniak won out with 46 percent of the vote over Scott Czasak, a House legislative director from Shelby Township; Frank Lams of Bruce Township; podiatrist Karen Potchynok-Lund of Shelby Township; and Tom Stanis of Romeo.

Potchynok-Lund came in second at 32 percent.

On the Democratic slate, Robert Murphy of Romeo won his race against Kristopher Pratt of Bruce Township with 59 percent of the vote.

Writing in Dome Magazine, political columnist Chad Selweski noted recently that Murphy has run for office approximately 10 times without winning — as a Democrat, a Republican and even an Independent.

The 36th District also has a Libertarian candidate, Benjamin Dryke of Shelby Township, whose campaign page on Facebook offered the most unusual slogan in the race — "A Vote for Dryke is a Vote for Anarchy."





Read or Share this story: