German police face criticism over New Year’s assaults
Cologne, Germany – — More women came forward Wednesday alleging they were sexually assaulted and robbed during New Year’s Eve celebrations in the German city of Cologne, as police faced mounting criticism for their handling of the incident.
At least 106 criminal complaints have been filed since last week, Cologne police spokesman Christoph Gilles said. The figure has increased from 90 since Tuesday.
“At least three quarters have a sexual component. In two cases we are investigating crimes that amount to rape,” Gilles told the Associated Press.
About 1,000 men described by police as being of “Arab or North African origin” gathered around Cologne’s main station, next to the city’s famous cathedral, on the night from Thursday to Friday. Smaller groups then surrounded individual women, harassed them and stole their belongings.
Police initially failed to mention the assaults in report the following morning, describing the festivities as “largely peaceful.”
Details of the attacks only emerged over the weekend and calls have grown for a comprehensive review of police actions on the night, after some witnesses claimed that officers didn’t stop the attackers.
Gilles said police were well prepared on the night, but “surprised” by the scale and aggression of the attacks.
Mayor Henriette Reker said she expected police to analyze what went wrong and “draw consequences from that.”
She didn’t elaborate on what that would entail. Police chief Wolfgang Albers has shrugged off questions about his own future, saying that he will stay in his post, though he acknowledged that the initial failure to mention the assaults was a mistake.
Ralf Jaeger, North Rhine-Westphalia state’s interior minister, said he expected a detailed report from Cologne police this week on who knew what when.
“The Cologne police force must clear up meticulously what happened where and when, what police could know and evaluate when and where, and what measures have to be taken.”
Gilles, the police spokesman, said the city has 10 officers working on the attacks and four men have been detained.
Among the angles police are investigating is whether there are any links to similar crimes committed over the past two years in the nearby city of Duesseldorf, where men have groped women to distract them before stealing their belongings.
Markus Niesczeri, a spokesman for Duesseldorf police, said that since the start of 2014, officers there have identified more than 2,000 suspects of North African origin in connection with organized thefts, though he didn’t say how many. He declined to say whether there have been any arrests in those cases.
“At the moment we can’t make a serious connection because we don’t have the perpetrators from New Year’s Eve,” Gilles said. “It’s not excluded that there are overlaps, but that’s still the subject of investigation.”
Police are encouraging more women to come forward.
“Most of the victims were from outside Cologne who filed criminal complaints in their home towns or with federal police,” Gilles said, adding that they included women of all ages and nationalities.
In addition to widespread shock over the scale and nature of the attacks, the incident has also fueled public debate about Germany’s ability to integrate large numbers of migrants.
Germany’s top security official stressed that those involved must be punished regardless of where they come from.
Antonia Rabente, a 26-year-old student in Cologne, said the mood in the city was divided.