SC: Custom Swimwear puts the fun back in summer
Custom Swimwear puts the fun back in summer
Trish Crowder is the answer to most women’s warm weather woes. The owner/designer of Custom Swimwear by Exelnt Designs makes bathing suits to fit and flatter all body types. “Most bathing suit manufacturers cater to about 10 percent of the population,” says Trish. “I take care of the other 90 percent.” On Thursday, she hosted a ribbon-cutting at her new Royal Oak location where she was presented with welcome plaques from the city and the county. Sunday she will host the grand opening party, which is open to the public with food and refreshments. Custom swimwear is at 4732 Rochester Road, Royal Oak.
MOCAD offering Hip Hop Architecture Camp
Giving a serious nod to hip-hop culture, the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit in conjunction with the Urban Arts Collective presents the Hip Hop Architecture Camp. HHAC is an intensive experience, designed to introduce underrepresented youth to architecture and urban planning through the lens of hip-hop principles. The camp program, created by native Detroiter Michael Ford (for youth ages 10-17), runs throughout February and concludes at MOCAD on March 3, with a pop-up exhibition of work created by students during the duration of the camp. On Saturday, participants will write their own lyrics for the chance to have their song be the basis for the Hip Hop Architecture Camp music video. Participants will perform against one another and the winners will be selected by a panel of judges. Winners will be awarded Beats by Dre headphones and will be featured in the MOCAD/HHAC music video. For information, contact Mike Koftinow at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Experience jazz in intimate Palmer Woods setting
To the delight of jazz fans throughout Metro Detroit, “Palmer Woods Music in Homes” presents jazz, classical and world music in historic homes with a Black History Month jazz concert on Saturday at 8 p.m. Preceding the evening concert, a free educational concert for children will be held from 5-6 pm. This homage to black music features an ensemble of extraordinary musicians, led by guitarist/composer A. Spencer Barefield, including Ian Finkelstein, Marcus Elliot, Rafael Statin, Jeff Pedraz and Sean Dobbins. The concerts take place in an architectural Palmer Woods gem — a 1927 historic Tudor Revival home, overflowing with Chinese, African and African-American artwork. For the evening concert, a soul food feast with chicken, greens, mac ‘n’ cheese, yams and peach cobbler is included. Tickets are $50. For information, visit palmerwoods.org or call (313) 891-2514.
Chuck Bennett is the creator of TheSocialMetro.com and hosts “Chuck’s Closet” from 4-5 p.m. Saturdays on 910AM Superstation.