Berman: One nurse's gutsy effort to protect patients

Laura Berman
The Detroit News

In the spring of 2010, Angela Swantek interviewed for a job with Dr. Farid Fata.

Angela Swantek at her home in Royal Oak.

She was an oncology nurse, a spirited force who plays hockey on a travel team; he was a Sloan-Kettering-trained oncologist and hematologist who would eventually become notorious for a scheme U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade calls "the most egregious case of Medicare fraud we have seen."

Swantek, who was interviewed one day and then returned a day later to shadow a nurse on her rounds, was shocked by what she observed at Fata's office: A drug that was supposed to be injected in five minutes was administered as a one-hour IV drip from a bag. Another drug, Neulasta, was given on the same day as chemotherapy, although protocol is for it to be given 24 hours later. Swantek, a registered nurse who was back in college completing a four-year nursing degree, had worked at the area's top cancer centers, from Beaumont to Karmanos, and she had never seen cancer protocols and procedures so disregarded.

She turned down the job, she says, and walked out of the office before lunch "in a huff."

"The assumption was that I'd stay beyond lunch, but I left before. I couldn't stand to be there one more minute. I literally was horrified."

What Swantek did next substantiates her outrage and her courage.

She filed an official complaint with state regulators on April 14, 2010, enumerating some violations and expressing the need for an investigation. "I feel this physician is doing his patients more harm than good," she wrote on the official allegation form, including her name, cellphone number, address and willingness to testify if necessary. "Patients are being harmed."

It wasn't easy for her to take this action. In her two-decade career as a nurse, she'd never filed a complaint, had never even thought about doing so. As in all professions, calling out a colleague or a superior — a doctor — is not something to be taken lightly.

Her decision-making process became the topic of an assigned college paper she wrote that spring, describing her "ethical dilemma" in a seven-page paper for the online Chamberlain College of Nursing.

"I wanted to report him but felt unsure and uneasy about turning in a physician ... no one likes to be labeled a rat," she wrote in the college paper. "I owed it to the patients to save them in some way from continuing to be harmed. ...

"I hope there is some action taken."

She took the risk — and waited for the state's next move. And waited.

A year later, on May 13, 2011, Swantek, 45, received a letter from the department of licensing and regulatory affairs saying that "violations of the public health code could not be established." The investigation was closed. Although Swantek had witnessed what she says were numerous health code and medical procedural violations within a few hours, the state had not substantiated them.

Other than telling her the investigation was closed, the state didn't contact her, she says.

"I would remember, I promise you," she said in an interview at her Royal Oak home. The state says an investigation was conducted, and that Swantek was interviewed on Aug. 26, 2010. In response to a Freedom of Information Act request from The Detroit News last week, the state released a document attesting to an "interview in for typing," but cited privacy rules under the public health code that prevent the release of any supporting detail about the extent of the investigation or any interview with Swantek.

Stephen Gobbo, deputy director of LARA, who was not involved with the investigation in 2010, said last week, "I can tell you unequivocally that interviews were conducted (with Swantek) and ... the licensee, Dr. Fata."

The statute protects Fata, now a convicted felon who pleaded guilty to administering unnecessary treatment and who has already lost his license. It prevents Swantek, the complainant, from seeing how the state responded to her complaint. And it shields the state Bureau of Health Professions, which was merged into the Bureau of Health Care Services in 2013, and moved from the Department of Community Health to the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA), from any public scrutiny.

Farid Fata, M.D.

"It is very rare that you see a medical professional making such an accusation against another medical professional," says Donna Mackenzie, a Berkley malpractice lawyer who represents some of Fata's former patients. "The state had a responsibility to perform a meaningful investigation in response to this very serious accusation."

"According to the criminal complaint against Dr. Fata, the federal investigators uncovered more during 2 days of investigation than the state apparently did over an entire year."

Two years after Swantek filed her allegation form, in a completely separate action, the FBI raided Fata's office, an event that led to his indictment in August 2013, and his decision to plead guilty to 16 counts of fraud and conspiracy last September.

Over those two years, Fata's patients continued to receive chemotherapy treatments they imagined were helping them but were, in many cases, literally poisoning them. He used IV drips instead of injections because he could bill Medicare more for longer treatments. As he would later admit in federal court, in response to specific counts: "I knew it was medically unnecessary."

On the day his office was raided, friends of Swantek's called to tell her that Fata had been arrested. She wept.

As Fata awaits his May sentencing, in a cell somewhere in Michigan, Angela Swantek doesn't have the satisfaction of knowing that she helped lock up Michigan's medical version of stock swindler Bernie Madoff. She didn't play a role in the FBI investigation, which had no connection to her complaint or state officials. Still intensely interested in the case, she reviews records of Fata patients pro bono, as lawyers prepare civil suits against him.

Angela Swantek's handwritten complaint form attests to one nurse's gutsy effort to protect victims — vulnerable men and women with cancer — from a physician who was more interested in payment than healing. "He treated them like commodities," says Swantek. Although her effort to alert the state didn't ultimately make a difference in Fata's case, it should have.