Greenwood: MDOT releases five-year project plan
While we all wait with bated breath about whether the state Legislature will OK a gas tax increase, MDOT has released a draft of its Five Year Transportation Program listing specific statewide transportation projects for 2015-2019.
I took a look at the road/bridge plans proposed by MDOT (you can too at www.michigan.gov/mdot5yearplan) to find out just what the state has proposed for the metro region over the next five years.
Here's a few of the highlights slated for 2015:
■ Replacement of the Trumbull Bridge over Interstate 94.
■ Removal of the Fort Street Bridge over the Michigan Central Railroad in Detroit.
■ In Macomb County, the reconstruction of Van Dyke (M-53) from 15 Mile to 18 Mile.
■ In Detroit, the replacement of the Van Dyke Bridge over I-94.
■ Replacement of the Woodward Bridge over I-94 in Detroit.
More are: ■ Replacing the substructure of the south bound I-275 bridge over M-14 in Livonia.
■ Resurfacing the Evergreen Road Bridge over I-96 and the CSX RR crossing in Detroit.
■ Replacement of the Fort Street Bridge over Marsh Creek in Detroit.
This represents only a handful of projects that MDOT has slated for the metro region in 2015. The state has a very long list of replacements/repairs/reconstruction and repaving projects over the entire five-year period.
MDOT is hoping the public will take a look at the list and share their thoughts about future projects, not only in the metro region but across the state.
Comments will be accepted until Jan. 5, and should be directed to Bob Parsons, Public Involvement and Hearings Officer, Bureau of Highways, Michigan Department of Transportation, P.O. Box 30050, Lansing, MI 48909; fax: 517-373-9255; or email: MDOT-Five-Year-Program@michigan.gov.
1. M-1: (Woodward): In Detroit, SB has one lane closed at McNichols until 3 p.m. Thursday for utility work.
2. M-3: (Gratiot): In Clinton Township, NB and SB has single lane closures between Vermander and Harrington through 8 p.m. Sunday for road repairs.
3. M-5: (Grand River): In Livonia, WB will have left lane closures daily from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. Monday through Saturdays from Berg to 7 Mile through Jan. 30.
4. Grand River: In Detroit, EB will have the right lane closed from First to Cass from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. Saturday for utility work.
5. M-53: (Van Dyke): In Warren, NB and SB has single lane closures between 15 Mile and Brougham Drive through 3 p.m. Wednesday for utility work.
6. Van Dyke: In Sterling Heights, NB has a single lane closure from 16 Mile to 17 Mile in Macomb County, north M-53 from 16 Mile to 17 Mile through 3 p.m. Saturday for utility work.
7. Van Dyke: In Warren, SB has the right lane closed at Orchard Street until 5 a.m. Monday for road repairs.
8. M-85: (Fort): In Detroit, the ramp to NB I-75 will be closed from 6 a.m. until noon Saturday for road repairs.
9. Old M-14 (Plymouth Road): In Livonia, the road has the right lane closed daily from 9 a .m. until 3 p.m. between Middle Belt and Merriman through Saturday.
10. M-19 (Main Street): In Richmond, NB and SB will be closed between Kennefic and Will streets from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m. Saturday for a parade.