Michigan State Police requests help in finding SUV
Hey, the Michigan State Police is looking for a very serious gift from the public.
The MSP is asking for your help in locating a vehicle that was being pursued by Ingham County Deputy Grant Whitaker when he was killed in a crash.
The suspect vehicle is described as a white GMC Denali with a Michigan plate of CPP-6978.
"We have the suspect who was driving the SUV, but we don't have the vehicle itself," said Det. F/LT. Sean Furlong of the criminal investigation division of the MSP First District Headquarters. "We've had no luck locating the vehicle."
Deputy Whitaker died in the early morning hours of Dec. 7 outside the village of Stockbridge in the area of M-52 and Dexter Trail. He was in pursuit of a vehicle allegedly being driven by John Kelsey II, 34.
"There was five days between the crash and when we arrested the suspect," Furlong said. "In the beginning all we had was a grainy surveillance photo of a white SUV. It took five days to determine what type of vehicle it was and who was driving it.
"He had a five-day window to get rid of it," Furlong added.
According to Furlong, Kelsey hasn't been cooperative with police.
"He has not agreed to have a conversation with us," Furlong said. "He hasn't said a word."
Kelsey has been charged with driving with a suspended or revoked license, causing death, first-degree fleeing police and as a four-time habitual offender.
He was arraigned in the Ingham County 55th District Court on Dec. 15 and his preliminary examination was Dec. 23.
Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of this vehicle is asked to call the MSP tip line at (517) 331-5634.
The vast majority of road construction has been suspended for the holiday season, but there are still some areas where work/lane closures continue, including:
1. I-696: In Warren there is a single lane closure in both directions on the service drive between Dequindre and Gratiot until Jan. 30.
2. M-5 (Grand River): In Detroit there is a single lane closure on WB from Berg to Seven Mile roads until Jan. 30.
3. M-8 (Davison Freeway): In Detroit the shoulder is closed on WB from I-75 to the Lodge freeway until Jan. 2.
4. M-10 (Lodge Freeway): In Detroit there is a double lane closure on the SB service drive between McNichols and Meyers roads until April 3.
5. M-39 (Southfield Freeway): In Detroit there is a double lane closure on SB from I-94 to Pinecrest until Dec. 31.
6. M-85 (Fort Street): In Detroit there is a total closure in both directions over the Rouge River Bridge between Oakwood and Miller until March 6.
7. Fort: In Detroit there is a total closure NB and SB between Oakwood and Powell until March 6.
8. U.S. 24 (Telegraph): In Redford Township there is a single lane closure on NB from Plymouth Road to Glendale Road until Dec. 31.
9. Miller: In Dearborn there is a single lane closure on NB and SB north of M-85 (Fort Street) until March 6.
10. Michigan Road: In Port Huron there is a total closure of NB and SB bridge over the Interstate 94/69.