Letter: Skip the turkey this Thanksgiving
While President Trump is pardoning two turkeys for Thanksgiving, every one of us can exercise that same presidential power by choosing a non-violent Thanksgiving observance.
And here are some other good reasons:
• You can brag about pardoning a turkey - like Trump (or not).
• You will stay awake for your entire favorite football game.
• Your sensible vegetarian kid won't have to boycott the family dinner.
• Plant-based holiday roasts don’t have to carry government warning labels.
• You won’t have to call Poultry Hotline to keep your family out of the hospital.
• Your body will appreciate a holiday from the fat, cholesterol, and hormones.
• You won’t sweat the environment and food resources devastation guilt trip.
• You won’t spend a sleepless night wondering how the turkey lived and died.
Seriously, this Thanksgiving, let’s give thanks for our good fortune, health, and happiness with a life-affirming, cruelty-free feast of plant-based holiday roast, vegetables, fruits, and grains.
Our own dinner will feature a store-bought plant-based holiday roast, mashed potatoes, stuffed squash, candied yams, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. An internet search on "vegetarian Thanksgiving" is getting us more recipes than we could possibly use.