Get the most out of the warmer months with these backyard deck tips
Back-to-school season is the perfect excuse to celebrate all you’ve done to enhance your backyard this summer. There are still months of fresh air and relaxation to enjoy in milder Michigan temperatures now that the season is turning from summer to fall. The team at Mans Lumber and Millwork has assembled the best 2018 outdoor deck living trends to make the most of cooler temps and bugless nights.
“Homeowners want their Trex decks to accommodate the same comfort and features they’ve historically enjoyed indoors. As a result, the outdoor living room has really taken off,” said Doug Mans, President of Mans Lumber and Millwork.
“Some folks prefer to keep their Trex deck simple and open, adding a grill, umbrella, basic table and chairs. However, more and more homeowners are getting cozy with outdoor furniture and accessories that reflect how they like to relax inside their home,” Mans said.
Here are several trending deck accessories homeowners are utilizing to maximize their outdoor living experience in 2018:
- Seating and Dining Options: Make sure you have enough room to accommodate guests and extended family. Don’t forget an option to put up your feet for when you want to read a book outside when the fall colors change.
- Outdoor Televisions: Saturday, Sunday, Monday night football, oh my! Avoid the traffic and parking by tailgating right in your own backyard.
- Fire pits / Fireplaces: As the temperatures cool and the mosquitos become a distant memory, the warmth of a fire is a wonderful way to wind down the evening with friends and family.
- Bold Lighting: A great barbecue doesn’t end just because the sun went down. Let your Trex deck glow through the night with built-in illumination. The right light can take any outdoor space from invisible to inviting.
The most important thing to remember when creating an outdoor entertaining area is that the finished project should result in an inviting space that becomes an extension of your home. After all, you want to be spending quality time soaking up the precious warmer months in Michigan.
The best way to ensure you maximize outdoor enjoyment all year long is to prevent burdensome maintenance and repairs. “Give yourself a solid, reliable platform for an outdoor living room, such as a Trex composite deck. Instead of working on it, you’ll be relaxing on it,” Mans offered.
Since 1996, Trex has invented, defined and perfected the composite, wood alternative deck category. The best choice for all-season decking, Trex has a lineup of low-maintenance, high-performance and eco-friendly products which have fundamentally changed the way we live outdoors.
- Aesthetics: High-definition wood grain patterns and rich, saturated colors make composite decking look and feel natural. Additionally, homeowners can find a wide selection of composite accessories, such as railings, stairs, gates, pergolas and furniture to create a truly unique outdoor space.
- Low-maintenance: No need to worry about sanding, staining or painting. Just an occasional soap-and-water cleaning is all that’s needed to maintain stability and beauty for decades. Trex decking even comes with a 25-year Fade and Stain Warranty, ensuring that it will continue to look and perform as well as the first day it was installed.
- Durability: Composite decking resists fading, staining, scratching and mold and won’t rot, crack or warp. It’s also insect-proof and splinter-free, making it safer and more comfortable for families with kids and pets.
- Sustainability: Composite decking provides the look and feel of wood without the environmental impact. The deck boards are made using recycled content, including reclaimed industrial wood scraps and recycled plastic from common items such as shopping bags and newspaper sleeves.
- Value: Although the initial cost of composite decking can be higher, when you factor in the cost of ongoing maintenance required with a wood deck, a composite deck can end up paying for itself in well under 10 years.
Why wait until the spring to enjoy your outdoor living space? The Farmer’s Almanac is predicting a warmer winter than normal for Michigan. Take advantage of the fall, readying your space for spring as opposed to waiting on contractors in 2019. For more information, contact Mans Lumber where expert designers will help you create your dream outdoor space in time for the fall color change.
Members of the editorial and news staff of The Detroit News were not involved in the creation of this content.