Football player Frank Ragnow shares his winning walleye fish taco recipe
During time off the field, Lions’ center loves fishing the Detroit River, Lake St. Clair.
When the Detroit Lions’ Frank Ragnow isn’t on the gridiron, you’ll probably catch him fishing on the Detroit River or Lake St. Clair.
A Minnesota native and lifelong angler, Ragnow said he loves fishing in Michigan.
“I love fighting the fish. I love the adventure. And I love to get away,” said Ragnow, who also enjoys cooking up a fresh-caught catch with his fiancé, Lucy Rogers.
It’s that love of the outdoors that led Ragnow to partner with the Michigan Wildlife Council. He said he looks forward to spreading the word about the many ways hunters and anglers boost Michigan’s economy and support our wildlife and natural resources.
Not an angler, but love eating fish? Check out Ragnow’s fish taco and Cajun potatoes recipes below.
Frank’s Famous Walleye Fish Tacos
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 4-6 walleye fillets (can substitute crappie or perch)
- Cooking oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika (optional for added spice)
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Lettuce, shredded
- Heat cooking oil to 375 F in large saucepan.
- Combine mayonnaise, Thai sweet chili sauce and chili garlic sauce in small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in plastic bag.
- Lightly beat eggs in a separate mixing bowl. Dip fish in eggs individually and place in plastic bag. Seal the bag and shake until fish are completely covered with batter. Set fillets aside.
- Using tongs, carefully lower the fillets into hot oil and cook until brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined serving plate.
- Serve with tortillas, cheese, lettuce and sauce.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
Total time: 45-50 minutes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 4-5 large russet potatoes, unpeeled and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Mix seasonings and oil in large bowl, then add potatoes and toss until covered.
- Place potatoes on foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes.