Recruiting candidates for innovative master’s residency program
Recruiting aspiring STEM educators for innovative M.A. in Teaching residency program
Do you have the gift of teaching math or science? If so, Wayne State University (WSU) is looking for people like you to join the second cohort of the Metro Detroit Teaching Residency for Urban Excellence (TRUE) Project.
Started in Fall 2019, the Metro Detroit TRUE Project is an innovative, multisector collaboration Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program that seeks to enhance student learning, address the critical shortage of STEM teachers, and support the region’s workforce development. Funded by U.S. Department of Education, the initiative prepares highly-qualified, diverse individuals to become middle and high school STEM teachers in the Detroit Public Schools Community District (DPSCD) and Dearborn Public Schools (DPS).
Designed specifically for recent graduates and mid-career professionals in STEM fields, the Metro Detroit TRUE Project is an accelerated graduate-level certification and residency program, which prepares participants to earn their master’s degree and teaching certification in 18 months. Residents receive a $40,000 living stipend for the first 12 months of the program. Students have the opportunity to work with school-based mentors and university coaches. During the program and for two years after graduation, students participate in professional development activities.
Tried and TRUE in 2022
With a 100 % placement rate, Metro Detroit TRUE awarded 13 residents MAT degrees in December 2021. The graduates began their teaching careers in DPSCD and DPS during the Fall 2021 term.
To continue its success, WSU is recruiting candidates for its second cohort, which begins in May 2022.
“Our accelerated program brings together research-based curriculum and instruction with immersion and mentorship in schools so that our graduates are ready to make a difference,” said Roland Sintos Coloma, PhD, professor of teacher education and director of the Metro Detroit TRUE Project. “We are excited and ready for the next cohort to join us.”
WSU will host a virtual information session on Zoom from 5 to 6 p.m. (EDT) on Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2022
RSVP at https://rsvp.wayne.edu/metro-detroit-true-project-info-session-5.
Metro Detroit TRUE Project partners include Wayne State University’s College of Education, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Office of the Provost, Office of Vice President for Research, and College of Engineering; U.S. Department of Education; Michigan Department of Education; Wayne Regional Education Service Agency; Detroit Public Schools Community District; Dearborn Public Schools; and The Engineering Society of Detroit.
For more information, visit go.wayne.edu/trueproject or contact Dr. Truman Hudson, Jr., at firstname.lastname@example.org (e) 313.577.1742 (p).
The U.S. Department of Education is funding 43% of this project, totaling $1,111,126. The remaining 57% of the project will be funded by Wayne State University.
About the Wayne State University College of Education
The College of Education is anchored by its commitment to social justice, equity and inclusive excellence, and offers degree programs in 37 areas, including teacher education, counseling, educational leadership and policy studies, educational psychology, educational research and evaluation, exercise and sport science, learning design and technology and sports administration. For more information, visit education.wayne.edu.
About Wayne State University
Wayne State University is a premier urban research institution offering approximately 350 academic programs through 13 schools and colleges to more than 26,000 students. For more information, visit wayne.edu.