Michigan Olympians take the field Sunday
That’s what Sunday is at the Rio Olympics.
But before the Closing Ceremony and remembering what was and what could have been, four athletes with ties to Michigan have a chance to bring home some gold.
But two athletes are venturing on to the Olympic field for the first time — wrestler Franklin Gomez and marathoner Mohamed Hrezi.
But just like that, it’ll all come to an end — until the 2020 Tokyo Games.
Here’s a look at the Michigan contingent in action (Team USA unless noted):
* Aron Baynes (Pistons, Australia): Men’s basketball vs. Spain for bronze, 10:30 a.m.
* Franklin Gomez (Michigan State, Puerto Rico): Wrestling, freestyle 65kg
* Draymond Green (Saginaw, Michigan State): Men’s basketball vs. Serbia for gold, 2:45 p.m.
* Mohamed Hrezi (Rochester Hills, Michigan State, Libya): Track & field, men’s marathon, 8:30 a.m.
* Claressa Shields (Flint): Women’s middleweight (75 kg) final vs. Netherlands Nouchka Fontijn, 1 p.m.