Get to know me: USPBL's Cody Brown
This spring and summer, The Detroit News will be introducing you to some of the lesser-known sports standouts in the area, including from the United Shore Professional Baseball League, Detroit City FC and Detroit Sun FC, among others. Consider this sort of like speed dating, without the dating.
Up this week with “15 Things You Don’t Know About Me” — Cody Brown, a pitcher for the Utica Unicorns of the third-year USBPL, which plays at Jimmy John’s Field in Utica. Brown had a 3.64 ERA in 11 appearances last season.
1. In the seventh grade, I made "B" team basketball and scored only four points all season while starting every single game.
2. I originally signed to play shortstop out of high school, before being moved to pitcher.
3. I won back-to-back JUCO national championships at Tyler JC.
4. I have about 59 chicken dinners on PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds for the Xbox One.
5. Everything I do like — ping-pong, writing, bowling — is with my left hand. But I throw right-handed.
6. My favorite movie to date is, "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi."
7. Before every start here in the USPBL, I go to National Coney Island, then I go vacuum my car for a dollar on the way to the field.
8. My favorite TV show would have to be "Game of Thrones." The new season comes out summer of 2018!
9. My favorite song is "Famous" by the great Mason Ramsey (yes, the kid yodeler).
10. My favorite artist would have to be Cody Johnson, a Texas country artist.
11. If there was something that I say too much and don’t realize it, it's “dude.” I just tend to say dude quite often.
12. I find it peaceful to read scripture before I go out to start warming up before starts.
13. I am pretty talented at singing while taking a shower.
14. If I could be good at another sport besides baseball, it would be golf.
15. I can make it rain from the 3-point line on a basketball court.