This spring and summer, The Detroit News will be introducing you to some of the lesser-known sports standouts in the area, including from the United Shore Professional Baseball League, Detroit City FC and Detroit Sun FC, among others. Consider this sort of like speed dating, without the dating.
Up this week with “15 Things You Don’t Know About Me” — Tyler Palm, a right-handed pitcher for the Eastside Diamond Hoppers of the third-year USBPL, which plays at Jimmy John’s Field in Utica. Last season, Palm pitched 16 innings, striking out nine with a 4.50 ERA.
1. I am 6-foot-8!
2. I am a professional baseball player, not a basketball player.
3. The weather up here is pretty nice, in case you were wondering.
4. Shark-diving is at the top of my bucket list.
5. In my free time, I like to water ski or fish on the lake.
6. My favorite movie is "Pineapple Express."
7. I almost quit baseball when I was in Little League.
8. I've played on the same field where many of the Seattle Mariners greats started their careers, including Ken Griffey Jr. (Bellingham, Wash.)
9. I could probably eat barbecue everyday.
10. My biggest superstition is to never say, "Wow this game is going by really fast today," because then it turns into the longest game.
11. If I could be anything other than a professional baseball player, I would be a professional skateboarder.
12. My favorite foods when I was a kid were Doritos and Mountain Dew.
13. I love to golf, even though my skill is in the bottom-10th-percentile.
14. My favorite sports team is the Detroit Lions.
15. I had a near-death experience at my local fair in West Branch.
(Editor's note: The News was intrigued, so we asked for more details on No. 15. Here's what Palm had to say in elaborating. "I was about 5 to 7 years old and I was on a ride sitting between my sister and my cousin. The ride was called 'The Scrambler' and went side to side. I slipped underneath the metal bar that held us in place. I was hanging on to it, and from the torso down was outside of our seat. My mom screamed at the carny and luckily was able to stop the ride before I flew out.")